NorthStar Psychiatry Biofeedback Program is developed for each individual, creating a specific treatment plan aimed to reduce that individual’s anxious/depressive symptoms. With the individualized treatment plan and biofeedback check-in sessions, you will grow your self-awareness and be better able to self-regulate your emotions, mental state, and physical responses. By utilizing the Muse™, you can practice biofeedback on your own schedule and in the comfort of your home.
Biofeedback Website Video
Hi, my name is Sara BaDour and I am NorthStar Psychiatry’s biofeedback counselor. Biofeedback is a type of therapy that provides real time feedback in auditory form to teach you what is going on in your body. NorthStar Psychiatry’s biofeedback program is designed to provide an individualized treatment plan specified to your presenting symptoms. For the first appointment, we will meet in person where you can try out the Muse™ after the biofeedback assessment. The Muse™ is the tool we utilize to provide the biofeedback. While it looks like a headband, it has an electroencephalogram (EEG) strip to record your brain waves, providing – in real time – auditory feedback. There are several types of meditative exercises, which will be explored in your individualized treatment plan. With the use of biofeedback, you will learn how to effectively use mindfulness to decrease your anxiety and depression.
In Clinic, 60 minutes, biofeedback assessment and try out Muse™
Muse™ will need to be ordered prior to Session 2
In Clinic, 60 minutes, review individualized treatment plan, set up own Muse™
Telehealth, 30 minute check-ins
Muse™ Website: https://choosemuse.com/
Muse™ Headband: Muse 2
Include my info:
Sara BaDour, LPC Associate
P: 503-878-8885 x115
1600 NW Cornell Rd Ste 220 Beaverton OR 97006
914 Main Street Vancouver WA 98660
- What is biofeedback?
- Using brain wave measurement to provide auditory feedback of when your mind is becoming more active or relaxed during a meditation
- How does it factor into mental health?
- Uses mindfulness-based practice of meditation which has been studied to regulate the nervous system, in turn regulating your emotions. It also creates neuroplasticity, so new communication pathways are made in the brain through association which can restructure the brain to decrease mental health issues such as anxiety and depression.
- What metrics are measured?
- Muse headband includes an EEG and EKG strip. EEG measures the brain wavelengths which is the firing between neurons and EKG measures heartbeat.
- How are these data measured?
- Where does this take place (clinic, home, etc.)?
- First session includes a try-out of the Muse before purchasing. After the first session, it will take place in the home.
- How does NorthStar use biofeedback to help their patients?
- Partner with Muse as the biofeedback tool. The biofeedback counselor then creates a specialized treatment plan for you which creates the routine structure to engage in biofeedback. The specialized treatment plan will focus on the specific areas you are looking to address (e.g., anxiety, depression) to reduce the symptoms and create long-term maintenance.
- What does a treatment plan look like?
- The standard treatment plan is to meet with the biofeedback counselor for two 1 hour beginning sessions, then twice per month for 30 minutes. The individualized treatment plan includes: what meditation to use, for how long, what time of day, and how often per week.
- Are there any side effects or other considerations?
- There are not side effects from using biofeedback. Biofeedback is retraining your brain to use mindfulness-based practices, like meditation, more effectively. As you start, you may feel some levels of frustration, but the more you stick to the treatment plan, the more effect you will notice and the less frustrated you become.
Biofeedback is a type of therapy which uses a tool to measure when your brain is more active or relaxed and provides changes in sound accordingly to teach you how to notice changes in your mind, body, breath, and heartrate. As you become more aware, you will be better able to adjust your mental, physical, and emotional state. Biofeedback is used for mental health as it uses mindfulness-based practice of meditation, which has been proven to regulate the nervous system which then regulates your emotions and thoughts. It also creates new pathways in your brain through association, providing new brain structure that is likely to reduce mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. Biofeedback uses two types of measurement: brain activity and heartrate. Brain activity is measured by EEG and heartrate by EKG.
The first appointment includes a 10-minute biofeedback session, so you have a better understanding of what it is like and whether this is a therapy you are wanting to continue with before making the tool purchase. After the first appointment, all biofeedback sessions will take place in your home. NorthStar partners with Muse™ as the biofeedback tool. The biofeedback counselor conducts an intake appointment with you, gathering what specifically you are wanting to use biofeedback for. This counselor will then create a specialized treatment plan for you, focused on the specific areas you are wanting to address (e.g., anxiety, depression) to reduce symptoms and create a long-term maintenance effect and plan. The standard for the treatment plan is to meet with the biofeedback counselor for two 60-minute in-person beginning appointments (e.g., first appointment for intake, second appointment for set-up and review of treatment plan), then twice per month for 30-minute appointments via telehealth. The individualized treatment plan will include information on what meditation to use, for how long, what time of day, and how often per week. There are no side effects from using biofeedback. Biofeedback, in essence, retrains your brain to use mindfulness-based practice (like meditation) more effectively. As you start the meditations, you may feel frustrated as your mind wanders and you may not feel much effect, but the more you stick to the treatment plan, the more effect you will notice.