Press For Additional TMS Info
How Does it Work?
A safe and painless procedure
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) uses a targeted pulsed magnetic field, similar to what is used in an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) machine. While the patient is awake and alert, NorthStar TMS Therapy stimulates areas of the brain that are underactive in depression.
Here’s what you can expect from a typical TMS session:
- You’ll recline comfortably in the treatment chair
- A small, curved magnetic coil will be positioned lightly on your head
- NorthStar delivers focused magnetic stimulation directly to the target areas of the brain
- You’ll hear a clicking sound and feel a tapping sensation on your head
- You can resume normal activities immediately
- Because there are no effects on alertness or memory, you can drive yourself to and from treatment sessions
NorthStar provides a safe treatment for depression
In-office treatment with NorthStar TMS Therapy takes 20-40 minutes and is administered 5 days a week for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Treatment with NorthStar TMS is easy:
- Therapy sessions are conducted in your doctor’s office
- You can return to normal activities right away
- You are awake during treatment
- There are no negative effects on memory or sleep
- It’s covered by most health insurance plans, including Medicare and Tricare
- With more than one million treatments performed, this novel treatment approach to achieving remission is bringing new hope to people every day
TMS therapy may not be right for everyone. Fill out our questionnaire to find out how this proven depression treatment can help and whether TMS is right for you or your loved one.